Re-roof, replace or ignore: a roofing contractor tells it all.
Homeowners pour a lot of money into painting walls and updating flooring without giving much attention to the roof over their heads. It’s only when the roof fails that residents remember that crucial part of their house that keeps out the sun, rain and vermin. Roofing contractors are often appalled at the roof conditions they encounter on houses that are otherwise picture-perfect.
What You Don’t See Won’t Hurt You
When it comes to your home, this is a dangerous attitude. Many homeowners go through life blissfully unaware of the potential problems threatening their homes. This is especially true for the parts of the house that are out of sight. To the trained eye of roof experts in Portland, OR, however, even small things could be a source of major problems down the road.
- Ponding occurs when a hollow in the roofing material collects and retains some of the precipitation. Accumulated debris can trap rainwater and snow, allowing moisture to sit in one place and promote deterioration of the roof. This is especially problematic for houses in rainy Vancouver, WA.
- Curling, lifting, cracked and missing roof shingles can lead to leaks. Left unrepaired, damaged or missing shingles will stress nearby shingles and cause more problems.
- Blistering and peeling shingles need to be replaced immediately to prevent more deterioration. Puncturing the blisters or nailing down loose shingles will only worsen the problem.
- Stains on the roof shingles from overhanging branches, algae growth and pet waste (bird droppings are the worst – and can void manufacturer’s warranties) should be addressed quickly to make sure that the roof material doesn’t deteriorate even more.
- Loose fasteners, flashings and deteriorated seals, missing granules on bituminous material, and rotting underlayment can lead to moisture intrusion into your attic space.
Causes of Roof Problems
Wind, hot temperatures and heavy precipitation can damage roofs slowly so that the condition is hidden until the attic leaks or until wind or water pressure strip away parts of the roof.
Incorrect installation and repair of roof layers can lead to numerous problems that may not be obvious right away. If the issues have to do with poor design, consider a thorough inspection and professional repairs to correct the problem immediately.
Roofs that aren’t cleared of debris and algae growth regularly will deteriorate quickly, since water tends to pool in low spots. Leaves and twigs will break down and affect the underlying material.
The Final Fix
Roofing problems are not to be messed with by untrained persons. Roof work is a hazardous job, and installation and repair are complicated processes. If you need the services of a roofing contractor, contact us online or call the experts at Interstate Roofing for a consultation: 503-684-5611.